Wednesday 5 August 2015

Washi Butterfly

Hello and thank you for visiting my blog.

For my card today I decided to use washi paper, and quite a lot of it too.  I got out a pile that I've had for some time but generally use very sparingly.

I chose a very busy and colourful paper for my background then picked a paper which I felt complemented it to make my butterfly.

I cut a number of dies before deciding which sizes and colours I wanted to use.  The card just evolved really although I'd begun with an idea in mind.

For the butterfly I cut two pieces of washi paper 2" x 2" plus a long triangular strip.  The square pieces I folded to make the wings and the strip was wound round a cocktail stick and stuck with a Tombo gluestick to make a paper bead for the body of the butterfly.

I used gold craft wire to make the antennae and stuck irredescent  beads on the end of each.

The sentiment was added as an afterthought to give balance.  I didn't want to heat emboss as I was worried the washi paper might lift so I used individual letters from a silver peel off sheet which I coloured with a black permanent marker.

I would like to enter this card into the following challenges
 Tuesday Morning Sketches blog #312
 Papertake Weekly Challenge



9 comments:

Shoshi said...

Barb, this is absolutely gorgeous. You have really captured the Japanese/Oriental feel with this card, especially with the addition of the origami butterfly. I adore the colours and the richness of the background paper with all its intricate detail. Just beautiful!

Shoshi

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Hey! It is great to see the final result of the card we can see started on your desk. This is so gorgeous!

Carol L said...

This is such a stunning card with beautiful papers, colors and a gorgeous butterfly! I love how you put this all together! Thanks for following my blog - I'm now your newest follower too :)

Hettie said...

Oooo Barb this is gorgeous. Loving your butterfly. So clever.
Hugs
xx

Art Joy of Sharing with Peg and Shel said...

Just beautiful Barb.

Notes by Nina said...

Beautiful and so elegant, Thank you for joining us for Tuesday Morning Sketches.

Debbie said...

Wow! What a gorgeous butterfly!!
Thanks for playing along this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches!!
Debbie (TMS DT)
Debbie's Dash of This and That

Sarn said...

Funnily enough I was looking at making this origami butterfly myself the other day. Yours looks great with the beaded body and the antennae. I only got as far as folding the wings! xxx

Dee said...

this is lovely barb..washi paper another favourite of mine..x