Tuesday 11 August 2015

Discovering ... Butterflies

Good Morning and Happy Tuesday!

I always enjoy Tuesdays.  Hubby and I spend the morning pursuing our hobbies  then we meet friends at the local watering hole for lunch.  In the afternoon we play again and I don't even have to cook dinner.  DH makes our tea.

I made this card a few weeks ago on a workshop with Jamie Turvey.

He told us to add washi tape randomly to our cards.  Then we put 3 different colours of acrylic paint (our choice) close together on our craft mats and spritzed with water then swiped our cards across the paints.

I chose blue yellow and red as I knew I could get some orange, purple and green from a mixture of those colours. Everbody's card looked very different and I was very pleased with the colours on mine.

We then stamped and embossed the butterfly and masked it before continuing.  Everything else was our choice - sentiment, where we placed it and any masks we decided to use.  I used a Tim Holt letter mask and embossed with gold then stamped red numbers into spaces at top right and bottom left.

We added die cut cogs and the pen nib to the butterflies body. Job done!

I would like to link this card to the following Challenges:-
The Butterfly Challenge
Craft Cardmakers and More Challenge "Warm Summer Colours"

18 comments:

Diane said...

Oh Barb what a gorgeous design and colors.

Hugs Diane

Mrs A. said...

Hello Barb and welcome to my butterfly challenge. Read with interest how you have made this card. The colours are lovely and the way you have used the washi tape is quite unique. Thankyou for fluttering by my challenge. Hugs Mrs A.
Ps. That is a lot of cards to make in any one month.

Lin said...

Wow Barb, this is gorgeous. I love the warmth, which is of course perfect for my challenge of Warm Summer Colours. So much gorgeous detail and dimension too!

Thanks for your email about your entry. I would have found it when I next logged into Inlinkz as it puts the cards that haven't quite met the criteria into a sort of holding file, so I would have checked at that date what was preventing you from entering and then published it for you.

I think it doesn't have a problem if you link directly to the actual challenge in future, rather than just the blog.

Anyhow, thank you for sharing this gorgeous piece with us!

Lin
Crafty Cardmakers and More

Bonnie said...

This is awesome, Barb! Love those colors and the masking and just everything! WOW!

Sarn said...

WOW - this is a stunner. Thanks for explaining how you created the background etc. It's truly wonderful and makes me want to get my paints out!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

KT Fit Kitty said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! What a creative technique to use the washi tape on the background with paints. Now I want to try this! The butterfly stamp is beautiful! So happy you joined us over the Butterfly Challenge!

KandA said...

This is stunning. Gorgous colours and background and I love the butterfly stamp xx

Julieanne..aka pinkjools said...

Hi Barb...Gorgeous card....just love the background and the big butterfly stamp....Joolsx

laurie said...

Love the background..great use of washi!

Sue Jones said...

This is just Gorgeous! I love the splash of gold. Sound like such fun to make too. Thank you for all the lovely comments on my blog . Have a lovely week x

Dee said...

just catching up! love this one barb..especially as I like washi tape so much!

Carol L said...

This looks amazing! The background is incredible, and I love the colors over the washi tape! Great butterfly image and sentiments too! Beautiful card!

Rebecca said...

Such a great mixed media project. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers and More for our Warm Summer Colours Challenge.

Bec

Greta said...

This is stunning! I'd have it framed on my wall!

Josephine said...

Love how you've done the background - such rich colours!

Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers and More!

Liz said...

I somehow missed this when it was first posted, but I've just seen you've won a special prize on the Butterfly Challenge, so popped over to see your card. What a stunning design, Barb! A really unusual way to use the washi tape too. xx

mamapez5 said...

What a beautiful card! I am so glad Mrs A. gave us your link or I would have missed it. I must remember that with all the washi tape I have in my stash! I like your choice of colours by the way. Kate x

Lisa Andersson said...

Love this!!!