Sunday 17 December 2017

Secret Santa ....

Hello and Welcome!

For the last ten years there have just been the two of us and a bachelor friend for Christmas so you'd think there wasn't much to to ...... wrong!

I'm sure I'd mentioned several times to my hubby that I was out crafting all day on Friday and Saturday morning too.  He asked on Thursday evening if I'd make a card for his Secret Santa at Men in Sheds and it was needed for Monday - oh and also a box for a small coin!  - don't ask ......

So I spent Saturday afternoon making the card.  This is the front.  I used washi tape on kraft card for Santa's belt.  The buttons are very old from a jar I inherited from my dear MIL several years ago.  Sadly she's no longer with us.


This is the inside.

I used thick embossing powder for the snow background, heated from the back then die cut a pop up mechanism  for the Santa.

The gold glittery snowflake was saved from a bought Christmas card from last year and the berries on the sentiment are cosmic shimmer dots.

 I added a small ribbon bow.














I made the small box this morning (Sunday) using scraps of kraft card.  This is the top of the box.

I coloured the card with Distress ink and had fun doing some stamping, stencilling  and stamping with various stamps.

The stencils are by Tim Holtz which I won from a blog buddy some time ago.

The word 'Found' was perfect as my hubby found the coin when he used to do metal detecting.

After making the card my hands were covered with ink and distress stain and I was very soon cleaned up with my new Ranger Scrubbie.  Check it out.  It works a treat.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

23 comments:

cuilliesocks said...

Hi Barb, to great makes, I'm sure they will go down very well with the recipient, Kate x

AlisonC said...

What a star you are to save the day. There is always far more to do at Christmas than you expect, even if your are expecting it! A brilliant card and a clever design.

Liz said...

Fabulous card and box, Barb. I love how you've done the inside of the card too. I think I may need to check out the Ranger Scrubbie, sometimes I have ink stains on my hands for days! xx

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Lovely card and box,the card looks so fun and festive, such clever design!
Great use of stencils and stamps on the box, it has a lovely vintage feel. Thanks so much for sharing the item you use for cleaning your hands, I will bought a bottle of it, after use inks my hands are always terrible! :)
Hugs

Kathleen said...

A fabulous card and a super box.

Kath x

Claire said...

Very nice, the coin box looks fun to create and its turned out wonderful with an ethereal feel x

aussie aNNie said...

Don't you just love them....requests at the last minute but it sure turned out fabulous. Wishing you a merry Christmas and will be back on January 10th.
xx[aNNie]🎄⛄

Darnell said...

I swear our husbands have a secret button they can push that's invisible to us that allows them to turn off their hearing whenever our mouths open, haha! You are patient and kind and very, very talented, Barb! You saved the day for your hubby and made a stunning card and box! Happy Christmas and Happy New Year hugs, Darnell

kiwimeskreations said...

Great projects - especially considering they were done 'under pressure'.
May your Christmas be blessed with love
Maxine

meg said...

Typical of a man, leave things till the last minute, mine is the same but I forgive him on most occasions, love the card, the inside is a great surprise, fantastic box too , the vintage style perfect for a coin.

Lia said...

Barb, your Santa creation is gorgeous. What a clever idea! And the box is great too and looks a bit vintage.
I wish you a Merry Christmas!
Lia xx

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

A super card and gorgeous gift box Barb. What is it with men leaving everything until the last moment.

Sue xx

Gerrina said...

Super design on your card! So effective! And the inside is a beautiful surprise aswel!
I love my scrubbie...couldn't do without it, for sure if you have a clientmeeting after craftingtime :)! Have a good week!

Aquarius said...

We do get some random requests now and again don't we and you've done a grand job. I can imagine your hands looked as if you were a heavy smoker after making the little box - good job you could clean them up easily.

Janice said...

Great card and box Barb.
Janice x

cotnob said...

A super card Barb, such a brilliant design.
A great box as well, I love the distressed look.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Carol L said...

Well what a lifesaver you are to be able to pull these together in such a short time! I'm sure your hubs likes them as much as I do - the Santa card is cute and I love the coin box! Very rustic and masculine looking!

Linby said...

Great makes, you pulled it out the hat even at short notice! I got rid of my old button tin but have started a new one a few years ago. How I regret not keeping my old buttons as they had so many memories and it is lovely that you get to remember your SIL each time you use a button.

Cara said...

Oh the perfect timing of blokes! Fab card and I love your little box. Hubby has two metal detectors or is it three, I'm sure the cupboard looks fuller than it was! With you on how brilliantl the craft scrubbies are x

Pat said...

A great fun Santa card Barb and quite complex for an afternoon make. I think hubby's think whipping up a card is a five minute affair..lol. The coin box is beautifully done too and I love the vintage look and the TH stencils are the perfect way to embellish it. x

Karen Dunbrook said...

super cute Santa card Barb...well done.
Love the look of the box...great vintage feel.
Happy holidays..many blessings mf.
xx Karen

Greta said...

Ah hubbys--can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em--haha! What a great card & box you made, Barb! I've never heard of the Scrubbie--thanks for the info!

rachel said...

Hi Barb - well I think you have been most industrious here and fit the brief perfectly! Well done you! Hugs rachel x