Saturday 18 November 2017

Optical Illusion!

First I want to assure you that everything on my card is embossed and to my hubby that is how it looks.  Not to me though. 

For some reason, I don't know why it happens sometimes, but the photo on my phone was sideways and other than that it looked fine.  As soon as I transferred it to my laptop and rotated it - oops! it looked debossed.

I was unable to take another photo as it went off in my charity box last week.

I'd be interested to see how it appears to you.

The embossing folder came recently as a magazine freebie.  The zebra is by Lawn Fawn and was in a box of similar little wild animals which I recently stamped, coloured and diecut at our craft club one morning.

I recently found a youtube video describing how to make this type of fold.  The sizes were a bit complicated so because too much measuring does tend to confuse me I decided to try an easy version.

Here is a photo of the girl version.

For each card I used a sheet of white card.

First I cut a two inch strip off the bottom of the short side.

Next I cut the remaining card lengthways in half.  At this point I cut the smallest slither from the side of my strip to allow for the folds on the next stage.

I stuck the 2" strip onto the bottom of the long strip, making sure I had it centred then folded in the sides.

Finally I folded the long strip down to the to the top of the little flaps.  You can see this on the baby girl card.

I believe it's called a Dutch Door Fold although I may be wrong.

I cut both white matts from one of the remaining long white strips using a Spellbinders die.  Sentiments are from a Paula Pascal set of sentiment stamps.  I use this set so much that I recently bought a second set - just in case!

  Bruce is taking me out for a pub lunch shortly and I'm recording the Arsenal v Tottenham match to watch when we get home.  Then it's Strictly from Blackpool on the television this evening and more football and some crafting tomorrow.  So it's the perfect weekend for me.  I hope you enjoy whatever you have planned.


33 comments:

Aquarius said...

I see your card as embossed but I have noticed when showing pictures of some of mine on the blog that there is often this optical illusion which 'reverses' things. I always scan my cards rather than take photos (unless they are unusual shapes) and I wondered if that was why it happened to mine sometimes. Interesting card style here which I must try. Have a good weekend - sounds as if you have it all planned nicely.

Jane Willis said...

Two lovely cards. When I look at the first one straight on it clearly looks embossed but if I look slightly off to one side so I'm looking sort of out of one side of my eyes, it looks debossed. An interesting optical illusion!
Jane

meg said...

depending on the angle you look at it from it is either embossed or debossed, it doesn't matter a jot though they are both beautiful

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Wow! Very interesting cards, such striking embossing and unusual folding! I have to remember these inspirations! Love both the versions, and especially the masculine one with that cute zebra and the fresh colors!

Carol L said...

Both cards are fun for babies, and I like the unique fold. Odd how that card got "debossed" while d/l it from your phone? Sounds like a fun weekend in store for you - enjoy!

Mrs A. said...

I know this shape as just a Dutchfold card. Once you get your head round the measurements they are so easy to make and by layering up like you have done here are gorgeous cards to send out. I can see the dmbossing just fine on the first card. Super little cards for new babies. Hugs Mrs A.

Karen Dunbrook said...

really sweet cards Barb..love the eb on the first one, adds such great texture and interest.
xx Karen

Swissie said...

Wonderful cards both of them, Barb! The animal images are just too cute!
Great embossing and design!
Hugs,
Liv

cotnob said...

Beautiful cards Barb, such a fabulous design and cute animals.
The first one does look de-bossed but it still looks lovely.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Kathleen said...

Whatever it is called it is a super fold, sorry but enlarged the card and it does look de-bossed to me.
Two really lovely cards and really cute images.

Kath x

Claire said...

These are so darn adorable especially made in sweet pastel shades, the zebra is just too cute and I love the embossing, which btw to me and my lappie it definitely looks embossed either way, you've made two very pretty and innocent cards x

Mia said...

Fabulous cards, Barb. Perfect! I loved the embossed papers and the beautiful animals. Kisses, my friend.

aussie aNNie said...

Two cutest cards today Barb, love the embossed version too and the image is adorable..xx[aNNie]🎄

AlisonC said...

What beautiful cards which will certainly be treasured. They do look embossed to me but isn't it funny how eyes can play tricks.

Gerrina said...

Both look super! Wouldnot know how to pick a favorite... Enjoy the weekend!

Donna said...

Fabulous cards Barb, and like this fold! Hope you had a wonderful afternoon out.

Cara said...

Two super cute cards and great fold. Your card looked embossed to me but I could flip it to debossed by staring at it!

Linby said...

the first one does look debossed to me too! What a great fold - so different and it looks fab in both designs.

Julieanne..aka pinkjools said...

Two brilliant card Barb....great image and colours....Joolsx

Janice said...

Two lovely cards Barb, such a lovely fold and design.
Janice x

Veerle said...

It looks embossed to me Barb however I think the kind of folder you have used image wise that is it appears partially embossed and partially debossed. But in any case it looks great. Two lovely cards Barb. Hugs Veerle x

Linby said...

me again! Yes I thought the sparkly red dress could be a Christmas card but I opted for the Birthday route, may try it now you agree. L x

Joan said...

Two lovely cards Barb, the first one does look debossed but it still looks great

Joan

Inkyfingers said...

What a lovely pair of cards Barb and I love that unusual design! It looks embossed to me - perhaps it is like those visual illusions that keep changing as you look at them.
Hugs
Carol x

Sylvia said...

Lovely baby cards,Barb.Love the cute little animals.

Gr,Sylvia x

Diane said...

My gosh Barb two super adorable designs.

Hugs diane

Pat said...

What an interesting fold on these two really pretty cards Barb, and I love the boy and girl version with the two sweet animals and beautiful dies and papers. I must admit that to my eye the embossing does look as though it goes inwards rather than outwards but I don't think it matters in the slightest. x

Unknown said...

I'm sorry for my lateness in commenting Barb, I could have sworn I had already. Both cards are fab, I love that fold....the first one looks embossed to me :)
Hugs Kaz xx

rachel said...

awesome fold Barb - really love this and you've made two fab cards using it! Hugs Rachel x

Lia said...

Barb, these two cards are amazing! I love the shape because it's so different.
Lia xx

Cobnut Crafter said...

Lovely cards Barb. I do like these cute critters. What a strange opticial illusion because Zebra card definitely looks debossed to me, but then again, with my eyesight.......!!! I haven't tried this style of card so I'm off to find that YouTube video you mention. Thanks for sharing x Anne

Craftychris said...

Two lovely cards - the fancy shape is so cool! I love the cute animals. The embossing on the first one could look embossed or debossed depending how you look at it! Either way is fab so no worries there! xxx

Greta said...

What interesting folds & darling cards! The first one does look debossed to me & I like it!